This is the official forum for the Role-playing guild, The Frozen Covenant, on Argent Dawn [EU]

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Transportation, questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dyone

PostSubject: Transportation, questions.   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 am

Hello my fellow Death Knights, Cultlists, Scourgelords and other mistical guild members.

In the last thread, about the event of the Day of the Dead, i made a small joke, about a mega imba transporter or so.
Of course it was a joke. Even if i could create such a thing in RP pure with engineering, i wouldnt call it like that.
But the joke made me wonder something. Something that i am questing myself for quite a while thou. What are the laws of transport over a huge distance in RP.
What is possible in RP? What isn't? So far my gueses are.
- Heartstones.
They are rare in RP, but i know they are real, because in the book the shattering, Alduin Wyrm (son of king of Stormwind) get's one from Jaina Proudmoore, so he can go to her when he desires.
- Warlock portals.
They are more massively usable then, *casting the blizzard spell*, because we all have seen Vartus, working this out very heavinly, and dramatical. So it must be possible.
- Mage Portal.
My thought about this is, that the magic is very heavy, and complicated to use. Not only that, but the location must be known. Reason there is a giant hub in Stormwind where everyone ends up after using the portal. And the mystical cavern you end up in Ogrimar.
- Engineering -goblins/gnomes.
It must be possible, due some quests who involves Goblins, and Gnomes, and a telleporter. Also Deadmines, and Ulduar involves engineered portals. But i also think, it isnt as powerfull as the magical ways. And that travelling long distances is impossible.
- "Other ways" In Silvermoon City, and Undercity, there are magical orbs, who travel you from point A to B, in Blasted Lands, you travel trough 2 dimensions by steping into the Dark Portal, in several raids and dungeons there are magical orbs, or tornado's or anything wich travels one from where they want to go. Yes, that's all i can tell about this.
-Mounts.
We travel a whole continent in 20 min, (30 if 150% speed), this cant be real in RP
-Zeppelin/Boats.
Same as mounts, but then even slower/faster.

Yeah these are my points, and my thoughts about them. Anyone has other explanations/thoughts/points or anything about this. This matter is really bugging me atm.

Thanks for raiding, and have fun on the rest of this day ;-)

Greetings, Dyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scourgelord

PostSubject: Re: Transportation, questions.   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:18 am

Hearthstones are enchanted 'rocks' so to speak - It highly depends on how they are enchanted and by whom.

All portals use the Twisting Nether to move through, magic is all around us, but not exactly in the same 'realm' so to speak.
(Disregarding Dark Portal from DK's)

Goblin / Engineering things are optional as some of them don't actually fit the World of Warcraft scenario (in my view).

Dislocation orbs / other ways are anomalies that I doubt we are supposed to re-create.

Mounts are unrealistic and flying from Quel'Danas to Stranglethorn ICly = Bad RP

Without getting into to much detail that's a brief explanation of each one, may do a longer one in the evening!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scourgerp.forum-motion.com
Gahbriela

PostSubject: Concerning Portals   Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't agree with the "use the Twisting Nether to move" part. The Nether provides the source, the fuel so to speak, but it may not be the only one. Deathknights are able to use a more simple form of portal (one that only leads to one place) through rune magic. Warlocks do it too, whenever they want to summon a demon, for instance, but i still believe any form of portal to be arcane in nature. I see the portals as an advance form of arcane magic, who requires years, decades of practise, and good knowledge of the place you are teleporting too. They are also very draining, no matter what the source you use, and its stability depends on the training of the user on making them and the amount of magic applied on it. They break the physical laws of reality, manipulating space itself. I would see it as being somewhat similar to a mage's Blink spell.
That is my view on it, at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dyone

PostSubject: Re: Transportation, questions.   Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Nice answers to both. Keep them coming pls, i want to know as many PoV's as possible, so that in the end, i can form a very good, basic and solid theory about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scourgelord

PostSubject: Re: Transportation, questions.   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Ghabriela.

One answer : Read the lore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scourgerp.forum-motion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transportation, questions.   

Back to top Go down

Transportation, questions.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1